The Sunnyside Community Garden is a Working Group of OPIRG Kingston.


Click once on an event below

May 01, 2008

Plant Sale plus...

Hi everyone,

Lara and I continue to plant seeds for Marthas Table in the centre garden . There are now 3 types of lettuce, snap peas and snow peas in the bed. There is also some Swiss Chard and Mizuna greens(is that right Tracey?) PLUS many strawberry plants on the east side of the bed for nibbling next year!

To accomodate everything we are trying to grow plus leave space for extra planting, we've taken out (or mostly taken out - a few remain to be taken) the perenial flowering plants on the north side of the bed. At first we had anticipated handing them over to the 'Brock Street Flower Bed Team' (they are all potted in my back yard, awaiting soil) but it occured to us that most of the plants are large enough to be split into many small plants and that a 'Plant Sale' may be a good way to raise some money towards building the new beds. In addition to these plants, I also have Hostas that need splitting (of course) and other plants in my garden that need thinning.

How does everyone feel about this idea?

There's a meeting scheduled for Sunday the 18th. Could we hold a plant sale in the garden that day...meet in the morning perhaps...any other ideas? I'd be happy to make a sign and poster the area to let residents know. If everyone thinks this is a good idea, would anyone be available to help out with the selling that day? If people are planning to be in the garden that day maybe we could rotate shifts at the sale table and sell thru the day.

Cath

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that sounds like a good idea and I would be willing to do my part.

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Hi:
I think it's a great idea. I had thought of a bake sale. Perhaps we could do both or do them seperately. What do others think?
I would be willing to help out with the selling.
Jane O.

Anonymous said...

A bake sale/plant sale combo would be great. I have all the perennials from the garden plus some things from my garden and I'm in for a tray of biscotti.


Is morning o.k. for you, Rachel and Jane ? Any body else? I'm good on the Sunday morning but Lara will be out of town that weekend.

Any thoughts on having the garden meeting in the morning? If it was a morning meeting, people (who want to donate) could bring plants and bake sale items with them for the sale. Anyone who's going to be away that weekend could drop plants/baked goods off to one of us before the weekend.

Cath

Anonymous said...

I could do Sunday morning until 11h or I could do the afternoon anytime after 1h. I can bake something to...

Rachel

Anonymous said...

I can bake too. A morning meeting is a good idea, we could do a picnic maybe around 11am?

I'm thinking this should be emailed out to the group, I don't think everyone will see this post & comment at this point...Hope it's ok if I do that!

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Yes, do it! I don't think everyone has seen this either. Could we be at the garden for 9am and have the sale through the morning (along with meeting then BBQ)?

Cath

Anonymous said...

I just sent a note to Mike asking that it be forwarded to the group as an email. Maybe that will bring some response.

As to next weekend...have lots of stuff divided and potted up in the backyard. Unfortunately I'll be out of town from Wednesday to Friday and won't have time to poster around the neighborhood. Could any of you make up a poster and put it up or should we just put a sign out on Brock Street next Sunday morning and attract passers by?
What time shall we start? 9 until noon?

Cath

mike said...

I just sent round the email, Cath. I love the idea, but will have a hard time coming any earlier than four as we're up north the night before.

I can donate some potted seedlings and cookies or brownies...

MIke

Anonymous said...

sooooo - how did it go?

At 8:30am there was already someone there to buy plants - I couldn't stay for the sale, but when I went back later it seemed like most of the plants were gone and all of the baking was gone!

Thanks everyone, and Cath and kids especially, for your work on this!

mike said...

It went SOOOOO well!! There was a steady stream of people buying up the plants and goodies and asking all about the garden. The waiting list is a lot longer, and our coffers a lot fuller. Cath said she pulled in $334.75!!

Thanks so much to everyone who brought plants and treats, and a HUGE thanks to Cath and Dan.

Mike